What happened? After such great participation in our
December Newsletter, “Our Time Is Now.” We all must have been too
busy shopping for the Holidays. So let’s make our “come back” in the
January Newsletter, “A New Year, and You?”
• No additional “Reconnections or more Connections.”
• No challengers for the “Bucket List.”
• “Who Said That?” No answer submitted for the following quote:
“To me there are three things everyone should do every day. Number
one is laugh. Number two is think
̶ spend some time in thought. Number three, you should have your emotions move you to tears. If
you laugh, think and cry, that’s a heck of a day!”
• ANSWER ̶ JIM VALVANO - Born: March 10, 1946 Died: April 28, 1993
In his speech at the ESPY Awards in March of 1993.
• The new quote for January is:
“IF YOU’RE RIDING AHEAD OF THE HERD, TAKE A LOOK BACK EVERY NOW AND
THEN TO MAKE SURE IT’S STILL THERE.”
First in with the correct answer will be January’s winner.
• HELP REQUESTED (last time): Classmates I need your assistance. One
of our Classmates has asked if anyone knows anything about the
Passing of Vance T. Wood? All we have is a confirmed Passing in
March 1995, and last known address: P.O. Box 64, Tahoe City, CA.
95730. Any information, please contact me - Thank You, in advance.
• The month of January will bring you: some articles from OUR
Classmates, Family, and Friends, reference the following:
• AWESOME • MIRACLE
• REMEMBER • 1 OR 2
People Are Awesome”
Contributed by Bob Graham (Some are more awesome than others ̶
“We Are A Miracle”
Contributed by Peggy Graham (Very interesting ̶ truly, we are a
“Now That Is Funny”
Contributed by Ted Dumke (Reminds me of thanksgiving dinner)
“If We Had An Italian President!”
Contributed by Charlene (Wiper) Swenson & Rosanne (Cardinalli) Gotelli
(These two might have some thoughts on this story…)
“You Will Remember”
Contributed by Bruce Ahlvin (The best of times, you make the call;
how about that Vette!)
“One or Two?”
Contributed by Michael Graham (Look real close, see what you really
“Relax To Nature Sights”
Contributed by Gary Rocklage (I think a few of us have been to #7
̶ anyone? Some of you “world travelers” probably recognized some
“The Day The Elephants Came To Dinner”
Contributed by Linda (Wanke) Rapp
(This could be a very interesting hotel stay!)
“I Will Follow Him”
Contributed by Sharon (Freitas) Peros (Me too ̶ great
“33 All Time Funny Dog Photos”
Contributed by Jake & Honor Graham
(Woof, woof! Thank you Jake and Honor)
“The Beer Band”
Contributed by Gary Rocklage (Rock,
would you please pass me a B#)
“100 Greatest Movie Quotes Of All
Time” Contributed by Bob
(The only thing “bad” about these is, I remember too many of them)
“A Little German
Contributed by Ted Dumke (This Looks Like A Normal Grocery Store,
But When The Lights Go Out? Awesome. It took a team of cashiers, 13
different hidden cameras, and a whole lot Christmas spirit to pull off
this epic holiday surprise! Edeka, Germany’s largest supermarket
chain, decided to surprise its shoppers with a seasonal treat.
In an attempt to liven up the otherwise boring chore of grocery
shopping, these cashiers opted to delight their patient shoppers with
a choreographed orchestra that beeped the holiday classic, “Jingle
Bells.”) (How cool is this supermarket?)
Contributed by Mike & Stevie Graham
(Written by Andy Rooney, a man who had the gift of saying so much with
so few words...Enjoy! I’ve learned a lot from my son and daughter
̶ I Love You Both So Much!)
• I've learned ... That
the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person.
• I've learned ... That when you're in love, it shows.
• I've learned ... That just one person saying to me, 'You've made my
day!' makes my day.
• I've learned ... That having a child fall asleep in your arms is one
of the most peaceful feelings in the world.
• I've learned ... That being kind is more important than being right.
• I've learned ... That you should never say no to a gift from a
• I've learned ... That I can always pray for someone when I don't
have the strength to help him in some other way.
• I've learned ... That no matter how serious your life requires you
to be, everyone needs a friend to act goofy with.
• I've learned ... That sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold
and a heart to understand.
• I've learned ... That simple walks with my father around the block
on summer nights when I was a child did wonders for me as an adult.
• I've learned ... That life is like a roll of toilet paper. The
closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
• I've learned ... That we should be glad God doesn't give us
everything we ask for.
• I've learned ... That money doesn't buy class.
• I've learned ... That it's those small daily happenings that make
life so spectacular.
• I've learned ... That under everyone's hard shell is someone
who wants to be appreciated and loved.
• I've learned ... That to ignore the facts does not change the facts.
• I've learned ... That when you plan to get even with someone, you
are only letting that person continue to hurt you.
• I've learned ... That love, not time, heals all wounds.
• I've learned ... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is
to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
• I've learned ... That everyone you meet deserves to be greeted with
• I've learned ... That no one is perfect until you fall in love with
• I've learned ... That life is tough, but I'm tougher.
• I've learned ... That opportunities are never lost; someone will
take the ones you miss.
• I've learned ... That when you harbor bitterness, happiness will
• I've learned ... That I wish I could have told my Mom that I love
her one more time before she passed away.
• I've learned ... That one should keep his words both soft and
tender, because tomorrow he may have to eat them.
• I’ve learned ... That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your
• I've learned ... That when your newly born grandchild holds your
little finger in his little fist, that you're hooked for life.
• I've learned ... That everyone wants to live on top of the mountain,
but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it.
• I've learned ... That the less time I have to work with, the more
things I get done.
Biggest ̶ Little Fly Over Ever”
Contributed by Alan & Charlene (Wiper) Swenson
(Wow, how great are those r/c airplanes ̶ outstanding!)
This video is
remarkable. How they worked it out with Homeland Security, FAA and all
the other government protectors is remarkable. These are
radio-controlled MODEL airplanes. No small feat! The budget cuts
have eliminated military fly overs at large events. But, there's a
group of guys in Kansas City who do formation-flying on their own who
decided to pick up the slack. They invited a couple of other groups
to join them, for with 48 guys using their homemade RC airplanes. If
they had more time, they probably would have an even larger group as
people kept joining; they had a 49th added near the event. One
additional feature of the fly over was the use of pink smoke for
cancer awareness. The folks from the Guinness Book were there and are
expected to confirm it as the largest formation flight ever. To top
it off, the crowd later set the record for the loudest gathering at a
Speakers on and best watched at “full screen.” Click the link - hope
you enjoy this short video.
Contributed by Bruce Ahlvin & Bob Graham
(So we never forget ̶ “all gave some & some gave all!”)
AND ANNIVERSARY TO ALL JANUARY CLASSMATES
JANUARY DATES TO REMEMBER:
1 ̶ New Year's Day.
2 ̶ Run up the Flagpole and See if Anyone Salutes Day.
3 ̶ Festival of Sleep Day ̶ Fruitcake Toss Day ̶
4 ̶ Trivia Day.
5 ̶ National Bird Day.
6 ̶ Cuddle Up Day ̶ Bean Day.
7 ̶ Old Rock Day...is this about OUR Rock?
8 ̶ Male Watcher's Day ̶ Bubble Bath Day.
9 ̶ Play God Day.
10 ̶ Peculiar People Day ̶ Houseplant Appreciation Day.
11 ̶ Step in a Puddle and Splash Your Friend's Day.
12 ̶ Feast of Fabulous Wild Men Day ̶ National Pharmacist
13 ̶ Make Your Dream Come True Day ̶ International Skeptics
14 ̶ Dress Up Your Pet Day.
15 ̶ National Hat Day.
16 ̶ National Nothing Day ̶ Appreciate a Dragon Day.
17 ̶ Ditch New Years Resolutions Day.
18 ̶ Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday ̶ Thesaurus Day ̶
Winnie the Pooh Day.
19 ̶ National Popcorn Day.
20 ̶ National Buttercrunch Day ̶ Penguin Awareness Day.
21 ̶ National Hugging Day...finally a day for me! ̶ Squirrel
22 ̶ National Blonde Brownie Day.
23 ̶ National Pie Day ̶ National Handwriting Day ̶
Measure Your Feet Day.
24 ̶ Compliment Day ̶ Beer Can Appreciation Day.
25 ̶ Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day ̶ Opposite Day.
26 ̶ Spouse's Day.
27 ̶ Chocolate Cake Day ̶ Punch the Clock Day.
28 ̶ Fun at Work Day ̶ National Kazoo Day.
29 ̶ National Puzzle Day ̶ National Cornchip Day.
30 ̶ National Inane Answering Message Day.
31 ̶ Inspire Your Heart with Art Day ̶ Backward Day.
Thank you all for your assistance throughout the year. I wish you all
a very Happy New Year. Take Care and enjoy Life to the fullest EACH
and EVERY DAY.
Hooah & Hugs, Bob